I have been gone for quite a bit! I remember saying I’d take a break during the holidays, but I never thought it would be so long. So many things came up. Here’s a quick list.
- I got into serious editing for a few months and was writing several hours a day. It turns out revision is a completely different beast than the first draft. I was not prepared for how time consuming it was.
- After getting several dozen critiques, I discovered a very serious flaw -infodump city. I was trying to cram three stories into a single story. World building is my primary goal with these stories and I realized that if I wanted detail and immersion, I’d have to stretch things out to give readers a gentler journey into this world.
- This is turning out to be a bit trickier than I thought. Most of the folk I know who made one story into three did so because their manuscript was too long. My manuscript was pretty lean and mean, so to make it into three stories, I needed to add content.
- I won’t go into full detail here, but when you’re stretching out a story to take a slower pace, its not just about chopping the story in three parts. I needed to ditch the infodumps, so I have to add several scenes to show the info, rather than explain it. So it’s like writing a new story.
- Also, I want to make each individual story complete, rather than one story broken up into three parts. I worked on a different goal and theme for each one. This makes me tinker and rewrite scenes to match he new theme. I also had to move things out of sequence, and then rewrite the scenes around it to make for continuity.
As you can see, it’s a big tangled mess! I’m still learning it all as I go!